There is an old rule I’ve lived by for years. It’s not really fall until:
- I can wear jeans AND a trench coat.
- There is a day that is respectably cold enough for a fireplace. (There is MUCH liberty taken here.)
- I can drink a hot chocolate without feeling ridiculous. (Yes, I’m judgey about my hot beverages.)
- Dark lipstick and nail color makes an appearance.
I am stupidly excited about #3 this year. The fall beauty trend of burgundy is downright LUSCIOUS. I prefer my burgundies more to red than to purple and judge them based on how ‘bloody’ they look. Gross, but effective, as I’m looking for a dark elegance.
Tips for wearing:
- While this is friendly to any eye color, you green-eyed girls should get on your knees and thank the color gods right this second. A gorgeous smoked burgundy eye is perfect for you. Try pairing with greys for day or a hint of gold for night.
- Burgundy lipsticks should be applied straight out of the tube, blotted and then applied again with a good lip brush.
- Never apply a dark lip color on chapped lips. You want lips well-exfoliated, well-moisturized or else you may resemble Bella’s frightening, not-so-attractive cousin. Remember, darker lip colors don’t wear as well as paler colors. Check your lips often.
- Burgundies make an already pale complexion even paler, but if your skin is of the Snow White variety, you will love the milkiness it adds. It can also magically darken a medium-to-dark skin tone if the undertones of the color or more warm than blue.
- Vampires make for great reading, but to avoid resembling one, use burgundy on ONE feature. While it’s fine to pair a pouty, sexy burgundy lip with a killer chunky knit sweater, DON’T pair burgundy lips, eyes and cheeks.
I’m ready. Are you?
1. OPI ‘Mrs. O’Leary’s BBQ | 2. NARS Trio Eyeshadow ‘Douce France’ | 3. Tom Ford Private Blend Lipstick ‘Black Orchid’ | 4. NARS Larger Than Life Lip Gloss ‘Rouge Tribal’ | 5. Estee Lauder Double Wear ‘Stay-in-Place’ Eye Pencil Duo | 6. Chanel Les Vernis Nail Colour ‘Vamp’ | 7. Dior ‘Eye Essentials’ Set