Life List Planning: Moving to New York. Sort of.

July 2, 2012

BLOG, FAMILY, LIST

Two years ago I wrote about how I wanted to show the kids how other people lived differently. TWO YEARS.

See, here’s the thing about plans and dreams and a Life List. They don’t just HAPPEN. You sort of have to DO SOMETHING. Because if you don’t you blink and two years goes by and that list, well, just stays a list. A lovely list, but a well-thought out list doesn’t really offer you much if you don’t execute.

And I love me a project. So here we go.

Next summer we are moving to New York City for one month.

Here’s where you come in, because you people are SMART.

Where do we live?

I have some ideas, but I don’t know the ins and outs of the various neighborhoods very well. To help you answer that question here are the loose guidelines I’m working off:

1. We will not have a car. (Duh)
2. Leah will be 12, Benjamin will be newly 7. So, kid-oriented activities/camps, etc. nearby are helpful.
3. Would prefer to be near an organic grocer of some sort.
4. Looking for a true neighborhood – we will be renting an apartment for the month. No hotels or room service here.
5. Great restaurants are a super plus bonus. The hidden gems are my favorite.
6. Access to a pool would be great. (Where in G-d’s name do people swim in NYC?)

Areas out of our price range: Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Tribeca (sob) – so don’t start there. I’ve been playing on VRBO and have found places in Brooklyn and the West Village that could work in terms of size and price, but… I don’t know.

So, Internet, have at it. If you were us, where would you live? It’s time to get started.

25 Responses to “Life List Planning: Moving to New York. Sort of.”

1. regan Says:

I’ve got no advice but I’m so happy that you’re doing this!

2. Corrin Says:

You guys are going to have such a great time! My sister lived in the Turtle Bay neighborhood (50th & 1st) and it was pretty great for getting around plus had a wonderful neighborhood feel.

3. SUmmer B Says:

HI. KIm Hawkins told me to contact you. I have lived in NYC for about 12 years. I would love to answer any and all of your questions. summerathena@gmail.com

4. Leslie Says:

Go to Brooklyn FOR SURE. You will get the neighborhood vibe, but still be close to a subway to head into the city. Park Slope is pretty with the big park nearby, and a little further from the park is Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens. Both are nice and I know families who live around there. We were just in Williamsburg and while it’s a little more arty and grown up, we saw a few families too. There is a TON of new building going on in Williamsburg, so there might be more options for rentals. Don’t forget, with the subway you are always close to everything. I don’t know about organic grocers… I think there is a Whole Foods in Soho. In New York you can find anything though, so try not to worry about things being right around the corner. Probably if you go to any of those first three Brooklyn neighborhoods, there will be lots of great stuff nearby. I find when I am in the city I just eat out all the time!! Too hot to cook in a tiny kitchen. PS. I am so excited!! I will come into the city with the kids and we can hang out.

Love. Love. Love. So glad you are doing this!

What a blast. My good friend lives in Brooklyn with her family, so I vote for Brooklyn. Plus, NO- Sleep- til Brooklyn!

7. Anna Says:

Most folks get most of their groceries delivered. We used Fresh direct back in 2003-2006 and they had lots of organic. I still would stop at a grocery store for last minute or special dinners. My favorite hidden gem restaurant find was I Coppi in the Village. Reasonably priced exceptional Italian food with great ambiance.

8. Neil Says:

Up by Columbia. Like 116th Street. Between the traditional upper west side and Harlem. Perfectly safe but with less of the cost of the 70s and 80s, and only a short bus or train ride away. Or walk. Beautiful old architecture.

• Pam Says:

Now that is something I would have never guessed. Thanks for the info – I’ll look it up now.

(I’m a sucker for architecture)

9. Apollina Says:

This is so brave and fun of you Pam! Your kids will one day (if they don’t already) thank you for being so awesome. My Mom took us to a bunch of different places to live (Florida, Missouri, Baltimore, Texas, etc.) and it was an invaluable experience – totally defined me and shaped how and who I’ve become. This is a huge line through your Life List, awesome:)

p.s. never lived in NYC but always wanted to (for a month)

10. Holly Says:

BROOKLYN – Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn Heights or, better yet and best of all, Williamsburg.

11. Ryan Says:

Happy to help you with this if you’d like. The biggest question, above and beyond grocery stores and all that jazz, is how much are you wanting to spend. Budget controls housing decisions in NYC.

Ryan
    @Fashables

12. Erin Says:

Upper Upper West Side- near Columbia good place to look. Lower cost, lots of restaurants, on main subway line.

13. Cami Says:

There are no words to describe how bouodiacs this is.