I know, you hear the word “brooch” and immediate you think of your grandmother or that aunt that wore too much perfume or the ladies at the country club.
We need to re-frame and re-position the brooch because, really, it is a tremendously versatile piece when you apply a little creativity. There are endless incarnations of the brooch – from the vintage to the glamorous, the fun and the frivolous, the storied collector’s piece and the modern.
Besides the typical “on the blouse” move, consider shaking things up a bit and giving a brooch a new spin:
1. Attach to a fabric or rope belt. Coolest belt buckle ever.
2. Pop your collar, add messy up-do, and place it right in the middle of the back of your collar. Because making an excellent exit is as good as making an entrance.
3. Pin to your purse – day or night – to dress up that clutch.
4. Wear it in your hair.
5. Those floppy hats everyone is wearing? Pin them and make them more interesting.
6. Use a pair of bar pins on a flowy, wide-strapped tank top to add some evening elegance.
Kenneth Jay Lane Coral and Turquoise Brooch | Carolee Brooch, Silver Tone Deco Bar Pin | LANVIN Blue Cotton Brooch | Lulu Guiness Union Jack Lips Brooch | inSynch Design Flower Brooch – Red from Boticca | Elsa Peretti® Amapola Brooch | Chanel Vintage Glass Centre Brooch
Want to learn more about brooches? Of course you do. Pick up a copy of Nina Garcia’s “The One Hundred” for yourself! We’re working our way through all 100 items to assemble the perfectly stylish, workable collection.
*Not connected to or endorsed by Nina Garcia, but we love her.