This sandwich has been floating around for a while. Originally created by Chef Thomas Keller for Adam Sandler’s character in “Spanglish”, it has become a late-night and soul-warming go-to choice by many. I, myself, have had two this week after rediscovering it on my Pinterest Taste of Taste board and I HIGHLY recommend you get on one of these immediately if not sooner.
I made a few changes to the original recipe over at The Kitchn for personal taste. It’s an easy sandwich to tweak here and there – and each addition makes it all that much more perfect.
Seriously. Make this. Right now.
THE SPANGLISH SANDWICH
Makes 1 sandwich. I wouldn’t share this if I were you.
3-4 slices of bacon
2 slices of organic Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices of toasted sour dough bread
1 tbsp of organic mayo
2-4 organic tomato slices (depending on the size)
2 leaves of romaine lettuce (butter lettuce is recommended, I didn’t have any, but I wish I did)
1 teaspoon butter
1 organic egg
How to Prepare
1. Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels
2. Place slices of cheese on each side of toasted bread. Place in toaster oven or under broiler to melt.
3. Carefully spread mayo on one slice of bread top with bacon, sliced tomato, and lettuce
4. In non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set (keep yolk runny. THIS IS KEY.)
5. Slide finished egg on top of lettuce, top with other slice of bread
6. Place sandwich on plate and slice in half, letting yolk run down sandwich
7. Take a bite and weep with joy. Then wipe your mouth.