An Open Call for Help: Germ Warfare

February 21, 2011

Uncategorized

Medication Rainbow

It’s been a long while since I’ve dusted off this space. That picture above? Is just a HINT of what has been going on around here since January 1. I wish I was kidding about that.

Someone in this house has either been sick or injured or sick AND injured since Thanksgiving Day.

It’s February 21st.

There have been sinus infections and back injuries and asthma flare ups and more back issues and more sinus infections and allergies and awful, debilitating coughs and not a day has gone by where my bathroom counter isn’t overflowing with medicines.

Also? I’m now the major shareholder in whatever companies own Kleenex, Advil, Mucinex, Delsym, Pediasure, Levaquin, Prednisone, Nasal wash bottles and solution, Ceftin, Symbicort, Singulair, Ventolin, Nasonex and any chardonnay I can get my hands on.

I cannot get this house well. Everyone is tired of being sick. Everyone is exhausted and ready to just get back to normal.

While dealing with day gafrillion of steroid-induced insomnia the other night I began to wonder if this is, in fact, some sort of bio-terrorist attack. My house is not the only one. I have friends all over the country dealing with very similar issues.

This season has been beyond ridiculous – even by MY standards of medical adventures.

So, I’m coming to you, Internet. Medications aren’t solving the problem and I’m open to whatever other ideas in the homeopathic, wiccan or non-scientific remedies you have. Here is what we need to accomplish:

1. Get rid of sinus, drips and coughs.
2. Cleanse this house of germs and any bad karma that is lingering.
3. I’m not sure how to describe this, but we need to change the “air” in here from heavy to light. Get back to a home full of energy and life.

What’s worked for you? I’m all ears.

17 Responses to “An Open Call for Help: Germ Warfare”

1. Hope Says:

seems pretty impossible for a family household to keep from spreading any bugs around. the best thing to do is build up your immune system with pure supplements (no cheap stuff). i take C and D3 all day long. also cut out any dairy. it holds mucas in your body. sugar also weakens the immune system. there’s my $.02!

good luck. hope healthy days are here for you and the fam soon!

• Pam Says:

I have such an issue with the pure stuff b/c it’s plant-based and I’m allergic to all squash, zucchini and oranges. So, sadly I’m stuck with synthetics a lot.

I can attest to the power of vitamin C, though. You are right.

Thanks for the ideas – we are all almost better!

I can’t help too much since I’m nursing day 3 of the walking crud, but it’s MUCH improved. How about hiring out for a real DEEP cleaning- ducts, carpets, furniture, etc. You never know what nasties may be lurking. That said, I’m purelling our entire house in preparation for Saturday!

3. Amber, theAmberShow Says:

Hire a cleaning lady. Open windows for a while (even if it’s super cold). I do this to “change the air” sometimes and have all winter. It’s worth needing a sweatshirt for a while.

Netti pots.

A diet heavy on roasted veggies and chicken soup.

Saline solutions for your nose (one can for everyone, with the names sharpied on.)

Loads of water drinking.

Minimal dairy.

Good luck!

• Pam Says:

We did ALL of these things – and we’re on our way to health again. Thanks so much for all the ideas. The windows being open was the beginning of the air feeling less heavy. WOO.

4. Kathryn (@kat1124) Says:

I agree with everything that Amber said above, although we don’t cut out dairy. I drink a lot of chocolate milk to get my calcium. :)

We also sleep with an evaporative cool air humidifier on all night. It helps when you’re sick, and I think it helps keep you from getting sick by keeping the air humid but not too humid. Dry sinuses get sick more often, I think.

We are also some hand-washing fools around here, my hands may feel like sandpaper often but it cuts down on passing things around. We don’t use antibacterial soap, just regular soft soap.

Hope you all are better soon, you’ve had a rough winter! Do you get your flu shots? We get them religiously.

• Pam Says:

Yes, Amber is a genius. 😉 And I loves me some chocolate milk, too. :)

We get flu shots religiously! I don’t ever want to feel like that ever again. EVER.

Thanks for all the good wishes — we’re on our way… FINALLY.

5. Missy Says:

One word: PROBIOTICS.

6. Missy Says:

And vitamin D is supposed to be more effective than a flu shot. I take 10,000 iu a day, and give the kids at least 1000 a day.

Run away! Go to a beach somewhere and get the salt air into your lungs, and if it’s warm enough, go for a swim in the salty water. I swear the sea has healing powers.

In the meantime, xoxoxo and hope it’s starting to get better.

• Pam Says:

Okay, but you have to come, too! And I agree with you — change of air, especially salty air, can do wonders.

As does a fruity umbrella drink.

8. PammerFan Says:

A foot massage always relieves some stress:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention An Open Call for Help: Germ Warfare – Outside Voice -- Topsy.com - February 21, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Pam, Pam. Pam said: Internet, I need your help. All ideas are welcome in the comments. Seriously. http://www.outsidevoice.net/2011/02/germ-warfare/ […]