Dream Job

November 23, 2010

BLOG

If you look at my resume you will notice a distinct message: Change. I’ve had several “careers”, none of which I actually planned for – I just merely saw an opportunity that looked interesting and turned in that direction. Each turn built on something I had done previously, but there was no plan. (Just for reference, the original “plan” was to be a TV anchor. It’s okay to laugh now.)

But I continue to see the world that way in terms of jobs or learning new things. Always asking “What’s next?” I started making a list of jobs or experiences that I think would be fascinating.

Here is what I came up with:

• Location scout for a James Bond movie
  • Naming OPI nail polishes
  • Wardrobe consultant for a film
  • White hat hacker
  • Futurist
  • Talk show host
  • Documentarian
  • New car test driver
  • Youth rabbi
  • Fashion photographer

There were other things I considered putting on the list, but after a second thought, didn’t write them down. There comes a point where too much information about a subject is disillusioning or defeating or depressing. I’m thinking of jobs in the White House, medical research (though I love all things medical) and intelligence-gathering organizations. Nice places to visit, but I believe having lived in those worlds would leave you bruised and cynical and sad. Just a hunch.

What about you? Is there a dream job or fantastical job or just a job that seems really fascinating to you?

13 Responses to “Dream Job”

1. Laurie Says:

I would love to “work” at my photography and scrapbooks for a living. I’m just not good enough at it – yet – to make a go. Maybe someday!

2. MainlineMom Says:

I’m with you on the whole depressing/disillusioning thing. In fact, I kind of feel that way about almost any job…that after awhile it just becomes a job and not fun anymore. Variety is so key in that.

I’m feeling totally uninspired today, but I’ve always dreamed of being a musician. Too bad I have only slightly better than average ability, not enough to ever make a living at that. I really would like to write music though, which is something I’ve never tried very hard.

3. April Says:

I always wanted to be spy.

Yup, my secret is out ~ I longed to be the real life Jennifer Garner on Alias.

Now I have to settle for catching the teenager breaking rules, which seems to be filling the void on a daily basis.

;D

4. Alana Says:

Right now, I want to be a pediatric nurse practitioner. Since I am only getting my ADN in May, I have a long road ahead of me before I can make that happen. First, I need to work as an RN for a while and pay off all the debts we’re accumulating while I earn this degree. Then, I have to earn a BSN, MSN, and then I can finally pursue nurse practitioner certification.

I enjoy the challenge of learning, and being a fifth-grade teacher just wasn’t doing it for me anymore. It was a scary leap to quit my secure, salaried job to be unemployed for a couple of years, but I hope my gamble will be worth it in the end. Everyone deserves to have a job they can be proud of at the end of the day.

5. PammerFan Says:

I’ve been told I have a fantastic voice for radio.

You clearly need to be a foot model. No question about it!

6. Dia Says:

There are still a lot of days when I wonder what my life would be like if I had pursued the park ranger gig. I continue to keep it on my list of “options.”

I can see you doing all of the things on your list – I like the youth rabbi and fashion photographer the most. And surely you could submit names to OPI and test drive cars in your spare time.

Love you!