Will Kate Middleton's Ring Ever Be Hers?

November 16, 2010

SMARTS, STYLE

Kate Middleton Prince William
Image via Daily Mail

The whole world lost its mind when the official announcement about Prince William and Kate Middleton’s engagement hit the wires. It’s been 30 years since the planet witnessed the most watched wedding in history – that of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana.

In a most sentimental gesture, Prince William presented Kate with his mother’s iconic wedding ring as a way to include Diana in the “excitement”.

Diana of Wales Wedding Ring
Image via Glamour

No one can argue the glamour of the ring – or its signifance. But I have to wonder if it will ever really be Kate’s? Search the media and it’s “Diana’s Ring”. So much of Kate’s life will not be her own from this point forward, I wonder if perhaps there was another option for the couple.

Perhaps using the stones with the addition of a few others to create a new ring. The stones provide the history and sentimentality, but Kate gets to make her own mark stylistically. She gets to be her own Princess – starting now.

What do you think? If it were you would you want the ring? Or to have your own?

8 Responses to “Will Kate Middleton's Ring Ever Be Hers?”

1. MainlineMom Says:

You make an excellent point. But as you say, much of her life is no longer her own. Essentially she belongs to the people now, right or wrong. I’m glad they seem to have taken quite awhile getting used to each other and the idea of it all, I doubt Diana really had any idea what she was getting into. I mean sure, she was marrying the Prince but it was HER that captivated the audiences, not her status really and certainly not her husband.

Anywho, I think it was a lovely gesture and if I were in her shoes I would be honored and find something ELSE to call my own.

2. @geekbyte Says:

I think the normal thing to do here would have been to retire the setting and build the main stones into a new piece, perhaps with some new stones and focus.

If it was important to him to keep his mothers engagement ring intact, he should have had another designed and crafted for Kate.

3. amber of theambershow.net Says:

I realized this week that I am exactly between these two, age wise. They are six months apart in age, and I’m three months younger than she and older than he, so it’s really fun to think about this wedding, and I’m excited to see it.

I would love to have Diana’s ring if I were her, and I wouldn’t have it reset or redesigned or anything. There is a horrible recession going on that’s hit England, too, and I think it is very tasteful of them to reuse a ring. That, plus the sentiment of it, makes it such a good choice. I’m sure she’s honored and realizes there will be other opportunities for her to get gobs of fabulous jewelery throughout her marriage.

Kate is very different: much older – holding a degree, having a career – so I’m sure that, although comparisons to Diana will pop up, she will hold her own.

• Pam Says:

I would agree with you that Kate seems a bit more prepared to take on this… adventure? And, yes, the jewelry options will be PLENTIFUL. I’m not so sure the recession plays into the royal decisions — but it’d be interesting if they did consider some of that. I’m guessing the wedding will still be over the top – how could it not be? The world is watching!

(And, yeah, I’m totally staying up for it.) :)

4. Stephanie Says:

If I were her, I would keep the ring as is. There will be PLENTY of other opportunities for jewels of her own down the line and I think it is a nice gesture since Diana didn’t have any daughters that the ring would have otherwise been passed down to. Although, I had recently read in a magazine (People, I think) before the engagement was official that the ring actually belonged to Harry, not Will (Will chose something else of his mother’s, a watch I think), so I do wonder if Harry offered it or Will asked him for it.

5. How To Propose A Girl Says:

Does anybody know how exactly did Prince William propose to Kate? I’m thinking what would be a good marriage proposal? Any thoughts? -Ralph Limbausch

6. Corliss Kleven Says:

Hi there, I found your blog randomly through stumbleupon! Very nice, but you should change the design I think. You can get some great free wordpress themes here, try one of them. I uploaded one on my own blog and looking much better.